Following the successful The Secret Life Of Pets promotion Brand Culture developed for Energizer across 14 markets in 2017, our client asked us to go even bigger and better for their 2018 campaign.
With an entertainment-focused promotional offer having resonated so strongly with Energizer’s international markets, retail customers and consumers, we investigated new entertainment offers that would help Energizer secure the all-important off-shelf space needed to drive sales and volume.
Our campaign idea would need to:
- Secure buy-in from a benchmark of 14 markets minimum
- Unlock conversations with multiples and grocers to secure off-shelf space
- Appeal to Energizer’s broad consumer base of adults and families
- Be a guaranteed gift with purchase with high perceived value
- Be simple and cost-effective to implement centrally and by market, taking into account such things as language variations, cultural relevance, promotional best practice and market legalities
- Reinforce Energizer’s ‘Longer Lasting’ brand claim
With movies representing a consumer passion point that consistently indexes highly across audience demographics and markets, and Over The Top (OTT) movie streaming and digital downloads having overtaken DVD sales for the first time globally, we focussed efforts on securing digital movie content from an entertainment partner that could help us deliver a genuinely motivating promotional offer. We also wanted to go one better than other offers in-market with a choice of movies for consumers to keep – not just rent.
Having approached the major distributors and content aggregators, we opted for Twentieth Century Fox as our ideal partner: they could offer a range of back catalogue titles that were box office hits in all our markets, and redemption via Google Play – making the offer accessible on Android and Apple devices. ‘For Movie Moments That Last And Last’ gave everyone purchasing a pack of Energizer batteries (average pack price £6) a digital HD movie download from Fox, worth £6.99.
As with all our Energizer campaigns, we led and managed the development of all workstreams including: partner negotiation with Fox, strategy, concept, POS/toolkit creative, trade/market sell-in documents, redemption website design and build x 42 versions, briefing/negotiating/ managing all third-parties and overseeing all artwork approvals.
The campaign won Gold at the Institute of Promotional Marketing’s inaugural Special European Industry Award category 2019, as well as contributing to Brand Culture scooping Silver in the Team of The Year Award.
– Increased year-on-year sales and brand share*, contributing to Energizer becoming the No.1 battery brand in Europe
– Unlocked more new trade conversations and secondary/off-shelf space
– Achieved the most Energizer market uptake ever, with 21 fully activating
Additional evidence of our successful approach was demonstrated the following year, when Brand Culture was asked to refresh the campaign for a total of 24 markets, including Australia, New Zealand, South Africa &